26.11.13

Sturridge says playing for England is more important than Liverpool

Daniel Sturridge has no regrets about making the England appearance that prevented him starting the Merseyside derby and insists he would do the same again.
Though Sturridge ultimately salvaged a point for Liverpool with a last-gasp header, Brendan Rodgers was left disappointed when Sturridge indicated he wasn’t fit to begin the game at Goodison Park despite playing 90 minutes for England against Germany.
Having missed the 1-0 defeat to Chile, Sturridge only participated briefly in one training session with England and his physical and mental condition on returning to Melwood last week left Rodgers vexed, ahead of Liverpool’s most significant game of the campaign.

Club vs country: Daniel Sturridge played for England against Germany but did not start the Merseyside derby
Club vs country: Daniel Sturridge played for England against Germany but did not start the Merseyside derby

Liverpool’s manager felt Sturridge “wasn’t going to be a matchwinner” after watching him train at Melwood last Friday but the 24-year-old, who will have an important role to play at the World Cup finals next summer, believes he could not say “no” to Roy Hodgson.
Sturridge, who has been complaining of a problem in his thigh, said: ‘For me, regardless of what condition you are in, if you are selected by the England manager you go out there and do the best you can, whether you are carrying an injury or not.
‘The manager (Hodgson) gave me an opportunity and it's always a pleasure to put the England shirt on. Regardless of what condition you're in, fit or not fit, if you are selected for England you go out there and do your best.’
Rodgers has continually said Sturridge needs to make himself available for training if he is going to fulfil his potential but the former Chelsea striker, who has 22 goals in 30 appearances, has explained the extent of the problem that he has been carrying.
‘I have been hampered for the past three games,’ said Sturridge. ‘Since West Brom, when I got the bang, I've had blood underneath my muscles in my thigh. It's still there now. When I shoot from long distance I still feel pain but it's getting better.
Redemption: Daniel Sturridge (right) celebrates with Steven Gerrard after scoring a late equaliser
Redemption: Daniel Sturridge (right) celebrates with Steven Gerrard after scoring a late equaliser

‘It's important that I'm training. I didn't get to train much when I was away with England. I only trained once before the game. I need to get the momentum going and just try to get it right and make sure I'm in the right condition to be able to go out there and do myself justice.
‘I hope I'll be fit enough to start against Hull next weekend. It would be great to be back in the side.’
That Luis Suarez was able to take part in the game at Everton on Saturday lunchtime, having made a 7000-mile trip back from Uruguay on Thursday, put Sturridge’s situation in context. Rodgers wouldn’t draw a parallel, describing them as being “different characters, different types”
‘He's a tough guy,’ said Sturridge, who described the 3-3 draw as being “remarkable”. ‘It's great to have Luis as part of Liverpool. There is so much talent running through this team. It's not about individuals, it's about Liverpool Football Club and it's great to be part of it.
‘I thought Jon Flanagan was man of the match and everyone was so happy for him. He works tirelessly every day in training. He's a top class lad off the field. I love the guy. He's been patient waiting for his opportunity and he has taken his chance.’
Strike a pose: Daniel Sturridge reveals he has been hampered by injury for the last three games
Strike a pose: Daniel Sturridge reveals he has been hampered by injury for the last three games

0 comments:

Post a Comment