23.11.13

Liverpool are a bigger club than Chelsea, I'm NOT a selfish player and there's nothing like a Merseyside derby

Daniel Sturridge has claimed that Liverpool are a bigger club than Chelsea and that he was never given an opportunity when he was in London.
The Liverpool striker, who has flourished this season with 10 goals in 13 appearances for his side, claims that accusations of selfishness in his play are also unfounded.
Sturridge was part of the Chelsea squad which won the Champions League in 2012, but he watched on from the bench while his team-mates beat Bayern Munich.
Bring it on: Daniel Sturridge has controversially claimed that Liverpool are bigger than Chelsea
Bring it on: Daniel Sturridge has controversially claimed that Liverpool are bigger than Chelsea
Speaking to ESPN, he said: 'This club is more of a pressure cooker than Chelsea.  [There] we were challenging for titles and the expectation from the fans and a lot of expensive players get bought and your fighting for your place.  But I think as a club, [Liverpool] is bigger, the history of the club and the way the fans want success.'
When asked about his critics claiming he is a selfish player - Sturridge had a tendency to shoot even if a pass seemed the more sensible option, while at Chelsea - he said they were wrong.
'The selfish thing - people at Chelsea have an opinion - and everyone's entitled to their opinion, but for me I was never given an opportunity there,' he continued.
'I'm only on for five minutes, I've got to try and do something. I've got to try and shoot.
Hollow triumph? Sturridge says he was never given a chance at Chelsea and does not like being called selfish
Hollow triumph? Sturridge says he was never given a chance at Chelsea and does not like being called selfish
'People have an opinion of me, [saying] "Daniel Sturridge this, Daniel Sturridge" and that and I'm selfish and this and that, but for me I've always tried to help the team win games and here at Liverpool I always try and sit on my opponents and I'm not a selfish player. I'm not a selfish person. People who meet me here and management understand exactly where I'm coming from.'
He added: 'I didn't really get a chance to show people who I was as a person because once you have an opinion and I'm not doing interviews and I'm not playing and I'm on the bench - it's almost like you can't do anything to change anyone's opinion.'
Sturridge is looking forward to the Merseyside derby and says that tensions have risen in the area between him and Everton supporting locals.
Divided: Sturridge told stories of the atmosphere on Merseyside before the big game
Divided: Sturridge told stories of the atmosphere on Merseyside before the big game
'There's no comparison [to this rivalry],' he said. 'I'm in a [supermarket] the other day – Tesco's – and the cashier says, "I'm not going to serve you if you score."  And I say, "You're joking, right?" and he says "No."  It just shows they take it to the next level of seriousness when it comes to this game. 
'Restaurant guys tell me they will not serve me food. Instead they will send me packing, to which I'm like, "Fair play." God willing, it's going to be red shirts that will be worn around the city the next day as Liverpool fans are proud of us getting a victory.'
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment